Sunday, January 23, 2011

no swimsuits: the beach, part two

Our first day at The Beach happened to be a Sunday, so we didn't mind that it was also pretty chilly and not ideal for swimming and sun bathing anyway. We had fun going down to the ocean in our sweats and just hanging out, listening to the waves and walking in the sand.

But first, we drove there. We drove through the night so the kids could sleep, and it worked out really well. (I say that because John pretty much drove the entire way while I slept off and on.)
Here's a view of our backseat that next morning as we neared The Beach.
Photobucket

And here is a view of a typical diaper change en route. Front seat of the car, Pearl doing her best maneuvers to escape so she can do something more fun than have her diaper changed. It is pretty funny.
Photobucket

Coming down through the canyon toward the ocean that morning there was some pretty fog on the mountains.
Photobucket

Have I mentioned that this whole Beach thing is a camping trip? No? Well, it is. We stay at a lovely campground right near the ocean-- it takes about 2 minutes to walk down to the water. Upon leaving the campground you have to cross under the highway (by way of this highly scenic underpass) and then there you are, at the beach (not The Beach, because the spot that we go to is a few minutes further).
Photobucket

This is what it looks like right when you get there:
Photobucket

And then if you walk up a bit higher you see the area that we hang out at. Just a little past the lifeguard tower and then down (obviously) is The Beach.
Photobucket

Ah, blessed double jogger, one of the best investments we have ever made. It has been with us on many adventures and it was so nice to have it to haul all our stuff to and from The Beach in every day. It also was where Pearl could take naps so we didn't have to go back to the tent. Here we are with our happy stroller, testing it out on the sand that first day.
Photobucket

Georgie got out and threw his first rock out into the water. I still don't quite understand the appeal of chucking rocks into the ocean, but it could entertain him for hours.
Photobucket
Photobucket

This little buddy of mine is the best. I just love him. He is at an age where I am constantly thinking about what his memories are going to be of these moments in his life and am so aware that it is my job to create experiences for him that he can look back on with gratitude and happiness. I hope The Beach will be like that for him.
Photobucket

After throwing rocks for a bit we headed up over to our section of Beach by way of this little dirt trail. Doesn't it look dreamy?
Photobucket

That sandy patch of beach on the right is our spot.
Photobucket

And the trail got a little muddy, and the sun decided to hide, and my girl wanted some cuddles. If there is one thing that has The Beach beat for "dreamy" it is getting loves from my squishy baby. Obsessed might actually be a better word.
Photobucket

While I cuddled (and nursed) our Peach (this girl is going to have an identity crisis with all of the variations of "Pea__" that we call her), the boys went off to explore.
Photobucket

And when they got back, there I was, still nursing the babe at the top of the stairs. George came up to say hello.
Photobucket

And then I found that I didn't like sitting there so close to a bunch of garbage cans, so I moved down a few steps. And Pea still nursed.
Photobucket

Pearl fell asleep and some more of the family was arriving, so we headed back to the campground. Grandma and Grandpa arrived (with Lisa and Logan), and Grandma spent some time reading stories to the boys.
Photobucket

I am positive that one day (probably soon) George and his cousin Logan will be best buddies. They are only four months apart, and Logan is George's only cousin so far, so they are destined to be tight. But it is somewhat comical to referee their tenuous relationship at this stage. Logan likes to eagerly drag (literally, sometimes) George along with him to "play," and George is not always super receptive to these "invitations." Lisa can often be heard reminding Logan to "invite George," but then let him make his own decision. It is funny. These pictures make me laugh because they totally show what it is like. Here is Logan, all best buddy and in George's space and George is like, "Dude, I just want to walk somewhere by myself, not be dragged there." Hysterical.
Photobucket

Ah, there we go. Some smiles. George and Logan actually often have lots of fun together and I am glad they have each other.
Photobucket

Here are a couple more campground shots from that first day. Baby Pea playing in Grandma and Grandpa's tent trailer, and my three amigos roasting marshmallows.
Photobucket

Next up there will be swimsuits! Any you will be happy because the best shots include a 10 month old chub :).

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Wow, what a wonderful family tradition! These pictures are gorgeous. It looks like J got you the right present for Christmas right before you headed to the beach. ;) I love the pics of Logan and G. Too funny.

Katie said...

So dreamy!

Hot Hot JJ said...

I am so addicted to your blog. I am so glad I found it through Ashley's! You have convinced me to look seriously at the BOB double stroller when we are expecting #2. Also, glad to see you post breastfeeding photos, thought I was the only one.

Pearl might be the cutest girl out there. Love her.

Katey and Justin said...

Hey Liz! I'm leaving a comment so you can find my blog! Love this post and I love your family! Miss you guys!

Katrina said...

those wide angle shots are killing me! i'm so coveting your lens.